I believe that there are generaly three sides to the concept of experience: employment, volunteer and skills.
Employment is a professional gainful application of knowledge and experience, whereas volunteer is the same appliucation of knowledge and experience, for some other good, and skills are specific applications that I consider myself capble of applying to the former (e.g. I use skills in my employment and volunteering). Additionally, skills can be obtained and refined through education and research, even if not yet applied to employment or volunteering.
I break these out because, I have had employment where, my title suggestedsthat I was performing a certain task, but in fact, I did something completely differently.
I believe education, both formal, and self pursuits are important to remaining current in the technology arena. The following sections lay out a collection of courses I have completed, both as part of a degree granting program, and for personal self betterment.
I have dedicated a significant portion of my life bettering myself through formal education, and continue to do so today. My long term goal is to complete a Phd, which I ended without completing a dissertation in 2013, when my wife (who is an OBGYN in the army) was relocated.
- (07/2017-Present)Instructor, Christopher Newport University
- (01/2017-12/2017)Graduate Teaching Assistant/Research Mentor, Georgia Institute of Technology
- (04/2016-Present)System Administrator/Security Specialist (freelance), Robertson & Markowitz, Savannah, GA
- (07/2015-04/2016)Senior Web Developer, Robertson & Markowitz, Savannah, GA
- (09/2014-07/2015)Lead Software Engineer, Fulfillment.com, Savannah, GA
- (02/2014-07/2014)Programmer Analyst III, BAE Systems, St. Marys, GA.
- (07/2010-05/2013)Graduate Instructor of Record, University of Texas at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX
- (01/2012-05/2013)Taught: Operating Systems
- (07/2011-12/2011)Taught: Java Programming II: Data Structures & File Processing
- (01/2011-05/2011)Taught: Database Design for IS Majors
- (07/2010-12/2010)Taught: Introduction to Programming Logic
- (07/2009-06/2010)Graduate Research Assistant, University of Texas at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX
- (06/2006-09/2010)Computer Programmer, Ferguson Enterprises, Newport News, VA
- (2006-present)Administrator (Elected Position), English Wikipedia
- (2007-present)System Administrator/Webmaster, halo3grind.com, private video gaming strategy community.
- Programming (coding)
- bash scripting
- Programming (software process)
- Methodlogies (Agile, Waterfall)
- Stages (Analysis, Design, Implementation, Testing, Deployment, Maintenance)
- Programming (software teams)
- Team Leadership
- Team Evaluation
- Team Composition: Did you know that a high functioning software development team has a good balance of introverts and extroverts?n
- Database Design
- Database normalization
- query development
- System Administration(Linux).
- Other Technical Skills
- Regular Expressions
- git (command line and GUI: sourcetree)
- unit testing (junit, PHPunit)
- vi, grep, awk